HARMAN's engineers and designers are creative, purposeful and agile. As part of this team, you'll combine your technical expertise with innovative ideas to help drive cutting-edge solutions in the car, enterprise and connected ecosystem. Every day, you will push the boundaries of creative design, and HARMAN is committed to providing you with the opportunities, innovative technologies and resources to build a successful career.
A Career at HARMAN
As a technology leader that is rapidly on the move, HARMAN is filled with people who are focused on making life better. Innovation, inclusivity and teamwork are a part of our DNA. When you add that to the challenges we take on and solve together, you'll discover that at HARMAN you can grow, make a difference and be proud of the work you do everyday.
About the Role
HARMAN's Luxury Audio group consists of a portfolio of the most respected brands in the audio industry - JBL Synthesis, Mark Levinson, Arcam, Lexicon, and Revel.
Mark Levinson continues to set new standards of performance through advancements in design and the development of innovative audio technologies. In this role, you will be responsible for the design and design oversight of high-performance, high-quality audio components from concept through production.
As Principal Hardware Engineer within the Mark Levinson Engineering group, you will be joining our team of world-class engineers who share an extraordinary passion for impeccable sound and dedication to raising the bar for high-end consumer audio.
You will report to the Director of Engineering, Luxury Audio.
What You Will Do
- Design & oversee digital control circuitry using high-speed serial interfaces such as SPI, I2C, and I2S and applying various embedded microcontrollers, FPGA, CPLD, and discrete logic devices.
- Usher in the next generation of high-performance analog and digital audio streaming products by collaborative design of discreet, low noise, analog audio circuitry in superior preamplifier and high-power amplifier circuits.
- Work closely with the internal Luxury Audio team and external OEM/ODM partners to complete system design and conduct design reviews for product development as defined by the Luxury Audio Products team.
- Generate schematics, and layout PCBs using best practices for low noise, high speed, and high-power applications as needed.
- Design and real-world tests for electrical, thermal, and mechanical integrity verify performance + reliability of designs for new products in addition to sustaining engineering for products with EOL parts.
- Test products to meet electromagnetic compatibility (EMC), safety, and regulatory requirements (UL, CSA, CE, etc.) resolve compliance issues.
- Build and help source materials for prototypes.
- Maintain & oversee formal engineering documents, develop test procedures, and provide technical production support for internal and external teams.
What You Need
- Master's or Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering or a related technical discipline.
- Minimum 8 years of experience and/or knowledge in low-noise, high-speed, and high-power analog and mixed-signal system design, testing, and PCB layout practices.
- Minimum 5 years of experience and or knowledge in digital system design, testing, and PCB layout practices.
- Proficient with schematic capture and PCB design tools, such as PADS, Altium, etc.
- Thorough working knowledge of electronic test equipment, including oscilloscopes, DVMs, logic analyzers, programmers, Audio Precision distortion analyzers, etc.
- Strong working knowledge of high-performance, high-end consumer audio and video systems, standards, and competitive markets (two-channel audio, video, home theater, music, etc.).
What is Nice to Have
- Experience in both analog and digital circuit design, knowledge of DSD, digital filtering, dithering, oversampling, and advanced A/D-D/A techniques.
- Experience with wireless communications hardware and protocols (Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, etc.).
- Experience developing, writing, and debugging automated test procedures.
- Experience using logic and circuit simulation and analysis tools.
- Experience with consumer products certification for domestic and international safety and EMC compliance, familiarity with regulations.
- Thermal design experience related to power semiconductors for both natural and forced air convection, including thermal interfacing and dissipation.
- Passion for sound, learning, and new challenges.
What Makes You Eligible
- Be willing to travel up to 10%, domestic and international travel.
- Be willing to work in an office in Northridge, CA.
- Successfully complete a background investigation and drug screen as a condition of employment.
What We Offer
- The standard base range for this position is 118,800 - 145,200 + applicable bonus.
- Competitive wellness benefits and 401K Retirement Savings plan.
- An inclusive and diverse work environment that fosters and encourages career development opportunities.
- Flexible work schedule with a culture encouraging work-life integration and collaboration in a global environment.
- Professional development opportunities through HARMAN University's business and leadership academies and extensive course catalog.
- Tuition Reimbursement.
- Access to employee discounts on world-class HARMAN products (JBL, Harman/Kardon, etc.).
- Be Brilliant employee recognition and rewards program.